Home Preparing for Surgery What kind of pain medicine will I receive after surgery?
What kind of pain medicine will I receive after surgery? PDF Print E-mail

Most patients will receive IV pain medicine to control their pain. Your anesthesiologist will choose a particular medicine or acute pain management technique based on the type of surgery, your underlying medical history, the amount of pain you are having and your response to our interventions. In the recovery room, the typical narcotic medications that we prescribe are IV morphine, dilaudid, and fentanyl. Sometimes we give supplemental non-narcotic medications such as Toradol (a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, like Motrin) or Tylenol. Your surgeon may also have prescribed other medications before your surgery that will give you additional pain relief as well.


American Anesthesiology Associates of Virginia

1001 Sam Perry Blvd
Fredericksburg, VA 22401 (view map)


Office Phone: (540) 741-7614

Fax: (540) 741-7615


Billing Inquiries:

Dates of service prior to 4/18/14:
Call (800) 464-6075*

Dates of service 4/18/14 and after:
Call (888) 280-9533*


*In order to expedite your inquiries to our billing department, please have your account number available.